Translate

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Robot Love

While browsing through the web last night I chanced upon a rather interesting news story. An artificial intelligence engineer announced that his company will soon launch a male version of a female life-like sex machine/companion that is currently on the market.
Like its female counterpart, the male robot will be designed to be like a real man and  programmed to "respond" to the physical sensations it receives.  It will also talk about topics geared towards its user's interests.
"Sex only goes so far. And then you want to be able to talk,"  said the engineer, whom I gave credit for being rather thoughtful and caring.
Then my mind started clicking. I wonder what my Romeo-robot will say if I ask: Honey, will you please mow the yard tomorrow?
Depending on Romeo's answer, its reported price tag of from $7,000 to $10,000  just might be worth the investment.  Grass in Hawaii, after all, amazingly grows an inch at the blink of an eye.
And then there are the other benefits to consider.  Move over R2D2!

R2D2 (on the right) and CP3O from the movie, Star Wars. Photo from GoogleImages.
-- Ariel Murphy

1 comment: