Translate

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Being intuitive


Born and raised in Asia,  I learned English at an early age and excelled in it more than in my own native Filipino language. I remember that in grade school I  often passed my English exams  by asking myself if a sentence “sounded right” more than if rules of grammar and correct English were followed.

While Nicole Mayhew was at work one day, she had a strong feeling that she has to go home and check on her husband.  When she got to her house, she found her husband trapped under the vehicle that he was fixing. The car had somehow landed on his chest crushing some ribs and causing other injuries. The husband survived the accident only because his wife found him on time.
Just  one month  in 1991 before she was supposed to defend her doctoral dissertation, successful professional poker player Annie Duke suddenly dropped pursuing her  doctoral degree in cognitive psychology, ran away to Billings, Montana to marry a friend she has never dated before and started playing poker for money.  Annie Duke obviously decided well.  She won $2 million in 2004 in Las Vegas’ poker world series.
Some mornings my mother wakes up and announces over breakfast that a cousin or a close relative has passed on.  It doesn’t take long in the day for my family to get a call  confirming my mother’s news.
Maybe because intuition is not yet precisely understood enough to be called a science, it has various names.  Some  of those names are  gut feeling, hunch, discernment, clairvoyance, premonition, divination,  innate knowledge, sixth sense, etc. 
Even the field of psychology has diverging views about intuition.  Some psychologists say that intuition is really based on one’s knowledge and past experiences. Others say that intuition comes from one of two “operating systems” that  we have.  One “operating system” is subconscious and is controlled by the right part of our brain as well as those parts that man has had since pre-historic times.
The other “operating system” is logic- and reasoning-based and controlled by the left and other “newer” parts of our brain.
We may not be conscious of it but we’ve been using intuition through most of our lives.  Some business icons have used their “gut feeling” and not just logic to make piles of money speculating, buying or selling. Media mogul Rupert Murdoch is said to be very intuitive.
Even scientist Albert Einstein acknowledges intuition.   He said: "When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come close to the conclusion that the gift of imagination has meant more to me than any talent for absorbing absolute knowledge." Elaborating, he added, "All great achievements of science must start from intuitive knowledge. I believe in intuition and inspiration.... At times I feel certain I am right while not knowing the reason." Thus, his famous statement that, for creative work in science, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Still others believe that being intuitive is  yet another “app”  to man as he evolves from a thinking being to  one “in the flow.”
Can you imagine a world where everyone automatically intuits and knows about you or me, everybody, everything? 
Could that be a world where humankind has more in common than in differences? 
Could that be a more loving and peaceful world?
 
 
LINKS:
 - Posted with Aloha
By ARIEL MURPHY

3 comments:

  1. After reading your blog, I thought a great deal about my own life. I am guided by intuition to a great extent. Sometimes, my intuition seems to be derived from a mix of logic and faith in my own judgement. Sometimes, my intuition simply appears. Is it spiritual? Is it a connection to some form of yet undefined energy that guides the universe? In all cases, my intuition seems a force that leads me to better outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is intuition spiritual or connected to some form of energy? Who knows? I also don't understand why some people seem to be more intuitive than others. I guess we won't know anything until much later but there's no assurance even in that. The good thing is that you are intuitive. Thanks for reading and commenting Mitch.

      Delete
  2. Why? Because I feel like it.

    ReplyDelete