Translate

Saturday, December 22, 2012

A bloody sunrise


At my boyfriend's house in Helena, Montana this morning, I woke up to a slow sunrise that blotted the sky a somewhat bloody red. Nevermind that I'm from Hawaii and not used to very low temperatures; I decided anyway to brave the 20 degrees outside and, still in my bedclothes, snatched my camera and hurriedly took the photo shown below.

The photo made me think of how America, which is one of the strongest bastions of democracy in the world, is turning out to be one of the most violent societies that currently exist. Statistics show that it has more gun-caused homicides than all other high-income (OECD) countries combined.

In the face of recent violence, notably the death of school children in Newtown, Connecticut, all some sectors of American society, notably the National Rifle Association, could say was: "Post armed guards in schools."

Pathetic!

-- Ariel Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment